Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The bravest thing you will see today: Tank Man, Tiananmen, 1989

You might remember the Tiananmen Square protests in 1989. I was in my senior year of high school and I remember wondering what it all meant. I admit, I was largely oblivious; it's only in later years that I have come to understand the bravery of the protesters. In some ways it was a precursor to the Arab Spring uprisings.

Of the many images that came out of those rough days, Tank Man stands alone. I've seen the still images before. Today I saw this video for the first time, a stark 1:13 suggesting that one person can change the world, or at least try.



(c)2012 Laura S. Packer Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails