Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Kansas City: the small things

It's been almost seven months now, which seems amazing. Almost seven months since Kevin and I packed up our life in Boston and began reconstituting here in Kansas City, Missouri. It was the right choice. It was the hard choice. Every day is a new adventure.

It puts me in mind of the millions of people who left their homes for new lands, knowing they never would go home again, that the most they could hope for was a long-delayed letter. How lucky we are to live in this age of electrons and airplanes.

I'm working on a piece about what all of this feels like, but I'm finding it challenging writing, so it will go up another time.

For now, I wanted to share some of the small wonders I've found here. I am a fan of small wonders. Kansas City is a pretty amazing place and I thought you might like to see some of the details. In the next few weeks I'll post some broader views.

Let's start with where we are, in case there are any doubts. I found this on the step of an old warehouse. KC is rich in old warehouses.


I'm not the only one who enjoys looking around Kansas City.

Who would have thought this would be here?

And if you need a rest, there are secret gardens. This is my favorite. 

I have found wonders within and without.


And, barring bad weather, I can always go to my own back yard for succor.


(c) 2013 Laura Packer
Creative Commons License

5 comments:

  1. There's a succor born every minute! Enjoyed seeing some of what you see. Virtual hugs to you & K. - Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kansas City seems to be filled with wonders! So glad you like it there.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden and your Secret Garden look like great places for birds, Laura. Robins and Bluejays, maybe? Wherever there are birds, trees and flowers my world is full of friends.

    Thinking of you daily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful images, wonderful eye, wonderful sigh, missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanking you for opening not only your heart, which you do so deeply and honestly, but also your own two lenses and that of your camera. I'm transported! Bambi

    ReplyDelete

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails