Thursday, July 18, 2019

Throwing starfish and the necessity of barking

If you've been following me for any time, you know that part of my work in the world is reminding everyone to #barkagainstthedark. I've been posting barks on social media regularly since November 2016 and I continue to do so, even when it's really hard.

What is a bark? At its most basic, a #barkagainstthedark is a way to stand up to the grim moments and actions in the world. It's a way to say I am here. It's a way to build resilience and community and hope, even when things feel overwhelming and isolating and bleak. In action, barks can be something to make people laugh, a poem to make them think, a reminder of our better natures and the arc of history. Barks are whatever help us keep going and not give up. They are, I suppose, my own attempt to throw a starfish back into the ocean. It might not make a difference for everyone, but it might make a difference for someone.


We all feel down sometimes, so a bark is a reminder that no one is alone. Whether from mental health or societal forces, everyone has trouble remaining engaged and hopeful (at least I do, and I'm extrapolating from my own experience) so a bark is a voice in the darkness, a small light.

We live in extraordinarily challenging times. The current U.S. administration is racist, sexist, fear-mongering, and greedy. Their volume is overwhelming and their actions are devastating for untold numbers of people. That they are supported by our neighbors is heart-wrenching. Even when I try to remind myself that racist, sexist, fear-mongering, greedy behavior comes from a place of fear, I cannot help but become angry and disheartened. I bark to remind myself that I can do better. We can do better.

We will. It will take time. It may not happen in my lifetime, but we will.

Knowing it's a long game that may outlive me might make you wonder why I keep barking. I bark because if I stop I become complicit. I bark because I need to remind myself that I am not alone. I bark because the starfish story stops too soon. When I tell it, I end it with,

The man watched the boy pick up another starfish and throw it as far as he could into the waters. 
He saw the splash and imagined the creature's relief. 
He bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw.

----------------------------------
Support me on Patreon.
laurapacker.com Performance, coaching, keynotes, and more.
thinkstory.com Organizational storytelling, communications consulting, and more.
(c)2019 Laura S. Packer Creative Commons License

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. So pleased to be able to listen to the truths behind your stories.

    ReplyDelete

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails