Thursday, December 26, 2019

What I miss

This is a hard time of year for me. It may be for you too; if so I'm sorry. It's a rough feeling, isn't it? I was sitting with it a few days ago and realized it feels like a combination of grief and homesicknesses. This got me thinking about what it means to be homesick, what do I miss? It certainly isn't a place, I am as home now as I ever was (that's a whole other issue), yet I still feel homeless, like I'm looking in a mirror without a reflection. With a little time, journaling, and a couple of cries, I realized what I miss is a life, who I used to be. I miss a future I didn't get to have, existential homesickness. I miss Kevin, that much is hugely, painfully clear, but I also miss who I was with him.

What I miss.
  • I miss being someone who didn't know what it is to grieve deeply.
  • I miss being someone who didn't have to learn how to navigate the medical system.
  • I miss the belief that there is time in front of me.
  • I miss laughing until I can't stand up.
  • I miss the inside jokes. I have new inside jokes, but not the old ones.
  • I miss being sharp and witty - my mind isn't as quick since he died, I think I used it up when navigating the medical system.
  • I miss looking forward to how much he loved Christmas.
  • I miss believing in Santa, or at least believing in Christmas magic.
  • I miss the future we didn't get to have, the adventures and arguments, the decisions and delights.
  • I miss being someone who tried to be empathetic to people who had suffered great losses, but didn't know how. I miss being someone who said some stupid though well-intentioned things about grief. I miss not knowing.
  • I miss the 30 years we didn't get have.
  • I miss who I might have become in that time.
None of this is to say I don't have a lovely life now. I do. I love and am loved, I have meaningful work, and I like much of who I am now. But I miss who I never got to be.

Loss is an evolving thing, I keep finding new pieces of it and making new discoveries about its reach. I miss not knowing this at all.
----------------------------------
Support me on Patreon.
laurapacker.com Performance, coaching, keynotes, and more.
thinkstory.com Organizational storytelling, communications consulting, and more.
(c)2019 Laura S. Packer Creative Commons License

1 comment:

  1. Really thoughtful, Laura! You have a big heart that has so much love in it. You are really great.
    I miss being the one, who doesn't know what fear is.
    I miss expressing my emotions and feelings to get relief.
    Thank you so much. Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails