Saturday, March 5, 2011

Giving things away - The Little Prince

As you know, I've decided to give some things away.

I don't know how old I was when I first read The Little Prince. My father gave me a copy and I fell in love. I remember reading it and sobbing at the end, my parents trying to console me that the Little Prince was happy. I thought that was a crock.

Since then I've read my way through five or six copies, rereading it until the covers fall off and the pages loosen from the bindings. Each time I read it I find it has different meaning for me, but no less than that first time. I still cry.

 I've given it as a gift. It was the most quoted book in my high school year book (It isn't with the heart that one can see rightly...). I've tamed birds and chipmunks and other small animals. I hope I could tame a fox, but I don't know. I've been tamed myself. I've drawn quite a few elephants in snakes to see who gets it. Not everyone does. I hope you do.

If none of this makes sense to you run, don't walk, to your local library and read The Little Prince. It might be in the kid's section. Don't let that fool you.

Today's give-away is a Little Prince domino set, given to me by a friend from France who went back home. It's a box full of baobobs and lambs, princes and roses, foxes and stars. Tell me why it should be yours in the comments section; make sure I have a way to reach you. I'd love to give it you.

On my other blog I'm giving away a selection of cookbooks from the 1960s and 1970s. Take a look!

(c)2011 Laura S. Packer Creative Commons License

1 comment:

  1. The Little Prince is one of my sister-in-law's husband's favorite and he gave it to her when he was courting her. For him, she was his rose...

    Last week, April 28, 2011 at about 6am we were awakened by a terrible news that my sis-in-law's husband died. He was co-piloting a fighter jet plane doing a routine proficiency flight in the Philippines , he and the other pilot didn't survive the crash.
    Yesterday I finished reading it ( online) and was moved to tears... in every chapter...

    There is a lot in the book that describes and reminds me of him.

    He was true till the end, true to God, to his Country, true to his Family and Friends.

    He left with him a young wife (30) and two little boys ages 3 and 18 months.

    I hope you still have the domino set. I would love to give it to my sis-in-law and the two little boys he left behind.

    We are mourning the loss of a great son, husband, father, friend and church leader.

    There is a quote in the book that I want to share with you that gives me comfort in this time of mourning-
    "And when your sorrow is comforted (time soothes all sorrows) you will be content that you have known me. You will always be my friend. You will want to laugh with me. And you will sometimes open your window, so, for that pleasure... And your friends will be properly astonished to see you laughing as you look up at the sky! Then you will say to them, 'Yes, the stars always make me laugh!'

    Thanks,
    Ellane

    Here is my e-mail lamyerdagroup2004@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails