Friday, October 19, 2012

Celebration count down day 4: Sunset

I'm sharing things I love, to celebrate my birthday. I started here. Some are sublime, some silly.

I know, it sounds trite, but I love evening. It's really that I love transitional times. It certainly can be argued that every moment is a transitional moment - it's not as though time moves any differently at noon than it does at 6:40 - but when the world is on the cusp, that movement is more obvious.

I love these times because it's when I notice the moment of the earth. It's when I notice our position in the solar system, in the galaxy, in the universe. It gives me an opportunity to be awake, to pause, to consider with delight my smallness in the face of things.

I have never found this to be diminishing, but an affirmation of this life, this moment, this possibility. And sunset often reminds me to stop and simply be in this life, this moment, this possibility. It's a daily opportunity to remember my place in the family of things.

(c)2012 Laura S. Packer Creative Commons License

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE sunsets (and sunrises) they are a sweet beginning to darkness (which we all know I'm not a fan of)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you sneak in your older posts (yes I LOVE This!) and bring us Etta James or Mary Oliver. You are a treasure. I'm REALLY gonna celebrate your b'day. I was glad I had time tonight to click on all the clickables. Happy Celebrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails