Sunday, September 29, 2019

Love, grief, and remarriage

By the time I next write to you, I will have remarried. Marriage is complex, the idea that I'm binding my life to another, and I'm finding the closer we get to the date, the more complicated it becomes.

The man I'm marrying is wonderful. He is smart, funny, kind, and has room for me to love Kevin just as much as I love him. He loves me powerfully and wholly as I am, broken and healed and human. I am so lucky to spend my life with him.

And yet.

And yet I flinch when people get too excited for my wedding, even when they have the best of intentions. I flinch more when they say things like I knew you would get over it or worse, I knew you would get over Kevin.

And yet.

And yet I am excited about marrying my new love who deserves to be called more than the new love. I am excited about marrying my love. I've taken to referring to Kevin as my late husband and the man I am about to marry as my living husband. Some people get it. Some don't.

And yet.

And yet, I never expected to be anyone's wife but Kevin's. When he died, I never expected to be in another relationship, never thought I would want to or could find someone who matched me as well. I am having dreams about betrayal, hurt, loss, and other delightful topics. It is hard to hold both the joy and the sorrow.

And yet.

And yet, I know Kevin would want me to be happy. He told me so, quite clearly, in those last tender days. I know he understood that my heart is happiest when it is loving and that to deny my own nature would kill me, as surely as the cancer was killing him.

And yet.

And yet, these dreams are breaking my heart at the time when it is also at its fullest. I finally cried a few days ago and it felt the same as in those early days after his death, bereft and with nothing left but tears that burned my cheeks.

And yet.

And yet here I am. Stepping forward even though it hurts like hell. Acknowledging that pain even as I am happy and stunned that someone is able to love me so well. Risking relationship even though I am afraid of the same tearing loss. Wearing both rings, to hold both loves. Honoring and celebrating all of the love, all of the time. Recognizing that I would not be who I am if I had not broken so completely, over and over again, then been reforged.

I could not be in this place if I had not found myself along the way. Who I am now is so very different from who I was, yet this me is still able to love and be loved. This me is still able to grieve and yearn and recognize that my body and my life are big enough to hold the past, present, and even believe there might be a future.

----------------------------------
Support me on Patreon and get more blog posts!
laurapacker.com Performance, coaching, keynotes, and more.
thinkstory.com Organizational storytelling, communications consulting, and more.
(c)2019 Laura S. Packer Creative Commons License

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful, rich, far-reaching, and full of love for the late husband, present (to be) husband, and your good self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your essay reminded me of two stories. One - the centuries-old Japanese technique of mending broken objects with gold https://mymodernmet.com/kintsugi-kintsukuroi/. Two - the story of the perfect heart http://paulocoelhoblog.com/2010/10/04/readers-story-the-perfect-heart/ Sending much love to you and your living husband :-) Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you friend. I'm saying prayers to St. Monica. (NOT Augustine's mother, about whom I wrote a poem in 7th grade), but the Monica who was recently alive and is now CLEARLY "in heaven" maybe dancing with Fred Astaire. I'm certain she's having fun - meeting Mary Magdalen, being given a reward for bringing teens up to a camp and teaching them to cook (and more or less to clean up). The dahlia she paid me with when I came to her school, is NOW BLOOMING and PURPLE and I just know she's going to attend your celebration - to check out Charlie and smile from Ear to Ear. Saturday the 12th we're having an AT PYRAMID mass and dinner to celebrate her (and you 3 as far as I'm concerned). I can feel how hard and wonderful this upcoming event is.....life-changing and really RIGHT. Big hug to Charlie till I get to give him one myself one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well girl sounds like this is it, so congratulations.
    Nothing is guaranteed. I tell myself daily that I put one foot in front of the other and walk-through whatever life puts in front of me. Sounds like you are doing a terrific job of doing just that.
    Hugs from Kansas City.

    ReplyDelete

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails