Monday, September 22, 2014

The world through my eyes: Independence Mine State Park

My last day in Alaska was wonderful. I met a Facebook friend and she kindly drove me to places I never would have found on my own. I got the bigness I was looking for. I took enough photos that I'm dividing the day into two if not three posts.

We met in Anchorage and went north. Our first major stop was Independence Mine State Park, a gold mine that functioned from 1906 to 1943. It is now a place of tremendous views and marvelous decay.

Fireweed bloom. An important plant in Alaska; local folklore says their height will be deepest snowfall.
This was at my eye level.

Autumn
 
Ridge line. This doesn't capture the scale at all.

Independence Mine building.





I love this kind of decay and reclamation.





The gritty stuff in front is a pile of mine tailings.

Cotton grass.

There were people parasailing off of the mountain to the left.

Another grass.



The road goes ever on and on.

(c)2014 Laura S. Packer Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails