Monday, July 3, 2023

Musing, July 3 2023 or The smell of rubber and lube (not what you think)

I miss writing here. I'm going to start posting occasional musings, and see what happens.
______________________

I dropped my car off at the mechanic's this morning, a shop I haven't been to before. His garage is towering, at least two stories high, though neither wide nor deep. There was a deer head made of nuts and bolts, old tools and odd pipes near the entrance, a really artistic piece that would never make it in a museum, their loss. Right below was a vintage Coke machine that would cost hundreds in an antique shop, but here it's still in use. On top sat a few glass insulators, like the ones I have in my living room window where they can catch the light.

His office walls were wood panelling, covered with thank you notes from various local teams and a signed picture from a tv show. I expected it to smell like cigarettes, but I guess he quit a long time ago.

I've spent many hours in shops like this. Once upon a time I loved working on engines, and my 1963 Dodge with a slant six made it easy. The aroma of motor grease and lubricants and rubber is a sweet scent to me, and I smiled as I smelled it again.

My hands miss knowing how to change an oil pan or a carburetor. They are clean most of the time now, and my knuckles are rarely scuffed. Some might call it growth, but I wonder about that alternate path, the place somewhere in a nearby universe where I know more about engines and less about words. So it goes.

In this universe I can, at least, share the scent and memory with you.

----------------------------------

Support me on Patreon for storytelling writing and more.

laurapacker.com Performance, coaching, keynotes, and more.

thinkstory.com Organizational storytelling, communications consulting, and more.

(c)2023 Laura S. Packer Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails