Saturday, September 26, 2009

Saturday bravery

On Saturdays I'm posting original work. My original work. This is sometimes really hard; I know I can write a decent essay, but some of the other stuff? whew, that's scary. That being said, I believe life is best lived facing the demons, doing the scary things from time to time.

Leda, grown old, to Helen
(c) 2009 Laura S. Packer

Oh, my daughter

How could I have known your birth would be our greatest curse?
As if it were not enough that you were conceived
in a rush of wings and an unwelcome mating:

When I found myself imprisoned in feathers I could only think
"But this is the stuff of story. Why else would this swan betroth itself to me?"
I should have known your fury while in my womb.

There was never a more perfect baby
even covered in blood
your radiance filled the room

And as you grew I should have known that my Helen
conceived out of story
could be nothing less than story herself.

Your beauty eclipsed mine from your first touch at my breast.
I did not begrudge it to you-
beauty can be such a burden.

But now I wonder, if I had known of all the blood
and death
that would fall from your name,

If I had known your father's intent in your conception
(how we mortals make the gods laugh)

If I had known the cost of your beauty,

would I have left you on the rocks or
broken your tender skull
as soon as you crawled from my body?

What is the price of beauty?

Oh, my daughter
if I could undo what has been done,
take back the blood of your birth

I would do so

and let the poets tell different stories.

(c) 2009 Laura S. Packer Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails